Sunday, February 2, 2014

Falling Hard for Fused Glass


At the start of the new year, Suresh reminded me that, in the 'spirit of the sabbatical,' I should try something new.  He pointed out that both boys were trying out pottery, Aditya was now writing poetry, Suresh himself had sung in a band, and now it was time for me to expand my horizons (beyond blogging, which I thought was significant enough!).  After some resistance (I resist change quite emphatically, thank you), I signed myself up for a fused glass class at Berkeley's Stained Glass Garden, and after the first class, during which I made the coasters shown above, I was hopelessly addicted.  The problem with my addictions are:  they are usually expensive, they require the acquisition of specialized (and expensive) equipment for serious hobbyists, and when I fall for something I fall hard and thoroughly.


The last time I was this obsessed, I brought a plant from Walgreens home and 90+ orchids, special ordered growth media, a humidifier, hygrometer, and a full spectrum light stand later .... yeah, you get the picture.  Hopeless, I say.  Absolutely hopeless.  And I am poorer for it. And my life, well, my life is that much richer.  Thanks, Suresh, for starting something you'll probably live to regret. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment